Kathmandu is a vibrant and culturally rich city filled with historical sites. It is the capital city of Nepal and has a unique blend of traditional and modern elements. Uncover ancient temples, bustling markets, and rich cultural heritage as you dive into the heart of Nepal’s capital.
Discovering the perfect activity amidst the plethora of online tour packages can be challenging for travelers visiting Nepal. It can leave them bewildered while exploring the options. To address this concern, I have curated a list of the finest Kathmandu day tour packages.
Best Kathmandu Day Tour Package List
There are numerous exciting activities and attractions to explore in Kathmandu. In this article, I have enlisted the best things to do in Kathmandu. The tour packages have been mentioned category-wise so that you can find a tour that suits you.
20 categories of tours have been included in this post. For your convenience, at least two tour packages have been mentioned in every category. Unveil the ideal tour package and immerse yourself in Nepalese authentic experiences. Here are some popular things to do in the city:
1. Cooking experience
Participating in a cooking class offers an immersive experience into Nepali culture, providing an enjoyable and family-friendly activity. During these classes, you can learn intricate cooking techniques, gain knowledge on ingredient selection, and taste authentic Nepali dishes.
Recommended tour package:
- Half-day cooking class in Thamel Kathmandu by Nepal Cooking School
- Nepali cooking class in Kathmandu by Kalpana’s Cooking Course Training
- Cook and Dine with a Local family by Royal Mountain Travel
Both tour packages are highly rated. No prior cooking experience is required to enjoy this culinary adventure.
3. Food tour
Embarking on a food tour in Kathmandu allows you to indulge in the culinary delights and flavors of Nepal. This guided gastronomic adventure takes you through the vibrant streets and local markets, providing an opportunity to taste authentic Nepali cuisine.
Recommended tour package:
- Walking Street Food Tour in Kathmandu by Yakthung Tours and Travels
- Walking Food Tour in Hidden Local Eateries of Kathmandu by Kathmandu Food Tours
- Discover the Kathmandu Food Trail by socialtours
Travelers can book this tour package to explore the city’s food culture.
2. Sightseeing tour
Sightseeing tour packages are perfect for tourists who want to experience the key tourist attractions in Kathmandu. It allows you to explore the captivating attractions of Nepal’s capital city. This guided excursion offers a comprehensive experience of the cultural, historical, and architectural wonders that Kathmandu has to offer.
Recommended tour package:
- Private Kathmandu sightseeing tour by Himalaya Holidays Service
- Kathmandu Full Day Tour by Outfitter Nepal
- Private Kathmandu Sightseeing Tour – UNESCO World Heritage Sites by Breakfree Adventures
- Seven World Heritage Day Tour of Kathmandu Valley by Himalayan Adventure
Discover iconic landmarks such as ancient temples, palaces, and UNESCO World Heritage Sites like Durbar Square and Swayambhunath, and more. Engage with the rich history and diverse cultural heritage of Kathmandu and uncover hidden gems along the way.
4. Day tour from Kathmandu
Nagarkot and Bhaktapur are highly sought destinations in Nepal, attracting numerous tourists. These two locations offer convenient day tour options from Kathmandu, allowing travelers to explore their unique attractions and experiences within a single day.
Recommended tour package:
- Nagarkot Sunrise View and Day Hiking from Kathmandu by Himalayan Planet Adventures
- Day Trip to Bhaktapur and Nagarkot from Kathmandu by Breakfree Adventures Pvt. Ltd
- Nagarkot Sunrise and Bhaktapur Durbar Square UNESCO Tour by Kathmandu UNESCO Tour
Overall, this day tour from Kathmandu to Nagarkot and Bhaktapur offers a blend of natural beauty, cultural exploration, and historical insights.
5. Cable car tour
Since its inauguration in 2016, the Chandragiri Cable Car has become the most convenient means of ascending a mountain in Nepal. It offers breathtaking panoramic views of Kathmandu.
Recommended tour package:
- Private Half-Day Chandragiri Cable Car Tour in Kathmandu by Himalayan Planet Adventures.
- Explore the Chandragiri Hills by Cable car by Himalayan Aster Treks Tours P.Ltd.
- Chandragiri Hill Station Tour by Cable Car by Fewa Trail Treks and Expedition Pvt Ltd
6. Rickshaw tour
A rickshaw tour in Kathmandu offers a fun and immersive experience. It allows you to see the city from a different perspective while enjoying the leisurely pace of this traditional mode of transportation.
Recommended tour package:
- Kathmandu Evening Tour by Rickshaw Including Durbar Square by Intrepid Urban Adventures – India
- Kathmandu Rickshaw tour of Thamel & Darbar Square -Explore the city like a local by Himalayan Recreation Treks & Expedition Pvt.Ltd
- Exploring Kathmandu by Rickshaw – Day Tour by Alpine Club of Himalaya
7. Everest Base Camp Helicopter tour
The tour offers a thrilling and unforgettable adventure, providing a unique perspective on the world’s highest mountain and its surrounding natural wonders. For those with limited time or who may not be physically prepared for trekking, this helicopter ride presents an ideal opportunity to intimately experience Mount Everest and the majestic Himalayas.
Recommended tour package:
- Everest Base Camp Helicopter Tour by Dipak Sapkota
- Everest Base Camp Sharing Helicopter Tour by Eco Holidays Nepal
- Landing Everest base camp by Helicopter by Everest Experience and Assistance
The tour typically begins in Kathmandu, where you board a helicopter and embark on a scenic flight towards the Everest region. During the tour, you’ll have ample time to take in the grandeur of the Everest region, capture stunning photographs, and soak up the serene atmosphere.
8. Everest flight experience
Witness the majestic Mt. Everest through the window of an airplane on this mountain flight departing from Kathmandu. If trekking to Everest isn’t feasible for you, this flight offers an alternative option to admire its grandeur.
Recommended tour package:
- 1 Hour Mount Everest flight from Kathmandu With Hotel Pick Up by Welcome Nepal Treks
- Everest Scenic ( Mountain) Flight with Hotel Pickup/Drop by Himalayan Social Journey
- Everest Flight Tour by Plane with Pickup by Luxury Holidays Nepal Pvt. Ltd.
This tour package provides an excellent opportunity to capture breathtaking views of the world’s highest peak.
9. Hiking and trekking
Kathmandu is surrounded by beautiful hills and mountains, making it a great destination for hiking and trekking enthusiasts. Here are some popular hiking and trekking options in and around Kathmandu:
- Amazing 1-Day Trekking Experience in Kathmandu Nepal by Shishir Thapa
- Ranikot Village Hiking in Kathmandu by Trekking Trail Nepal
- 1 Day Private Hiking to Nagarjun, Kathmandu by Saara Tourism Nepal-Travel Advisor in Nepal
10. River rafting
The Trishuli River is the closest rafting destination to Kathmandu, located just a few hours away. The scenic beauty and convenient accessibility make the river a popular choice. Here are my three choices for you:
- Rafting in Nepal – Trishuli River Rafting by Shepherd Holidays
- 1-day Trishuli river rafting by Best Adventure Nepal
- River Rafting from Kathmandu by Himalayan sanctuary adventure private limited
11. Paragliding and zipline
Paragliding and ziplining are popular adventure activities in Nepal. Here are some options for paragliding and ziplining near Kathmandu:
- Zipline Adventure near Kathmandu by Luxury Holidays Nepal Pvt. Ltd.
- Kathmandu Paragliding by Travel Pinto
- Paragliding in Kathmandu Valley by Kathmandu Paragliding
12. Nepal Motorcycle tour
Exploring Kathmandu on a bike is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the city’s vibrant culture and visit its numerous historical and cultural landmarks. Many adventurous travelers like mtb tours Nepal.
Suggested tour packages:
- One day entire Kathmandu biking Tour by Arpan Nepal
- Motorcycle Adventure Tour to Namobuddha from Kathmandu by Swami Narayan Travels Pvt Ltd
- Explore Panauti in Cycle- Cycling around Kathmandu Valley by Royal Mountain Travel
13. Walking tour
A walking tour in Kathmandu is an excellent way to explore the city’s rich cultural heritage, bustling markets, and ancient neighborhoods. Throughout the walking tour, immerse yourself in the local culture, interact with friendly locals, and try the delicious local cuisine.
- Kathmandu Walking Tour by Himalayan NamoBuddha Travel & Treks Pvt Ltd
- Smells of Kathmandu Walking Day Tour by Classic Escapades
- Old Kathmandu Walking Day Tour With Living Goddess Temple by Three Jewels Adventures
14. Bungee jumping
Bungee jumping is an exhilarating adventure activity. Ensure that you choose a reputable bungee jumping operator that prioritizes safety and has experienced staff.
- The Last Resort Bungee Jump 1 day by Nepal Social Treks and Expedition
- Bungee Jumping in Nepal – Day Tour by Alpine Club of Himalaya
- Bhotekoshi Bungee Guided Private Day Tour by Altitude Himalaya
15. Bird-watching tour
Kathmandu and its surrounding areas offer a diverse range of bird species, making it a favorable destination for birdwatching enthusiasts.
- Phulchoki bird-watching tour by Himalayan Smile Treks and Adventure Pvt. Ltd
- Samsara Trekking: Nepal Birding Holidays by Samsara Trekking
- Bird-watching tour in Shivapuri National Park by Adventure Himalayan Travels and Treks
16. Photography tour
- Evening Photography Tour of Kathmandu by Third Rock Adventures
- Kathmandu’s Heritage Photography Tour with Professional Photographer by Liberty Holidays
17. Rock climbing
- Rock Climbing in Kathmandu – 1 Day by Himalayan Glacier
- Rock Climbing in Kathmandu – Day Tour by Alpine Club of Himalaya
18. Shopping tour
- Thanka Shopping in Kathmandu by Tour Guide in Nepal
- Kathmandu Shopping Experience with Pick Up by Tuladhar Handicrafts
19. Village tour
- Bungamati and Khokana Village Half-Day Tour from Kathmandu by Friendship Nepal Tours and Travels
- Godavari Village Day Tour by Transport Hub Nepal
- 1-day volunteering program with children and women by Human welfare committee
- One Day Hiking and Volunteering Tour in Nepal (Kakani), in Nepal Schools by Eyes On Nepal
Some exceptional examples of Kathmandu day tour package
- Jeep Safari in Nagarjun forest at Kathmandu by Best Treks in Nepal – Kathmandu to Pokhara bus tickets reservations
- Pottery Square tour – Bhaktapur by Himalayan Smile Treks and Adventure Pvt. Ltd
- Bandipur Village Homestay Tour by Best Heritage Tours
- Experience Permaculture Organic Farm Tour near Kathmandu by Saara Tourism Nepal-Travel Advisor in Nepal
- Mount Everest Helicopter Tour and Marriage Ceremony/Proposal by Mount Trails
Helpful info to make a successful tour in Kathmandu
Location of Kathmandu
Here, I have added Google Maps so that you can know where Kathmandu is located, and how far it is from your country. Feel free to zoom in and zoom out on the map to identify your travel destinations.
How to get into Kathmandu, Nepal
Nepal is a South Asian country. Tourists can get into Kathmandu by international flights. Many famous airlines like Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways, Air China, Air India, and Bangladesh Biman. They regularly operate flights to Kathmandu.
Another important way of entering Nepal is by land from India. Foreign tourists can use Kakarvitta, Birgunj, Bahia, Mohana, Jamunaha, Goddaha, Biratnagar, and Pashupatinagar land-border with India for traveling to Nepal.
Top tourist spots in Kathmandu
- Kathmandu Durbar Square
Kathmandu Durbar Square, also referred to as Basantapur Durbar and Hanuman Dhoka, is a historic durbar square situated in the heart of Kathmandu’s city center. This square, boasting the largest collection of ancient structures, encompasses numerous palaces, courtyards, and temples. Due to its remarkable assemblage of over 50 temples, it has earned the moniker “the Museum of Temples.”
- Swayamhunath Stupa
For centuries, the stupa at Swayambhu has symbolized faith and unity, as it seamlessly blends Hindu temples and deities within its Buddhist premises. This sacred site is considered the starting point of the magnificence that characterizes the Kathmandu Valley. Swayambhu attracts many visitors, both Buddhists and Hindus, who come throughout the day. It is widely regarded as the finest example of religious harmony in Nepal and serves as an ideal location to witness this harmonious coexistence.
- Pashupatinath Temple
The most venerated Hindu temple in Nepal is located on the sacred banks of the River Bagmati. The Pashupatinath Temple hosts the captivating Pashupati Bagmati Aarati, which is a highly engaging ritual. Whenever devotees visit this pilgrimage site, they eagerly take part in this sacred ceremony, drawing participants from all corners of the country.
- Asan market square
Asan continues to maintain its significance as a vibrant shopping hub, bustling with activity as one of the busiest marketplaces. It offers a diverse range of shops where one can find an assortment of items, including local and imported spices, kitchenware, groceries, fresh vegetables, Chinese goods, hardware, and clothing.
- Kirtipur Town
For an authentic immersion into the Newari culture of the Kathmandu Valley, a visit to Kirtipur is highly recommended. Positioned approximately 30 minutes away from Kathmandu, this ancient Newar town sits on a ridge, 8 kilometers southwest of the city. Kirtipur charms visitors with its quaint hill town ambiance, featuring paved streets adorned with traditional red-brick houses and tiled roofs. Additionally, the town boasts captivating temple squares that add to its cultural allure.
- Garden of Dreams
Situated at the gateway of Thamel, the Garden of Dreams serves as a tranquil haven amidst the bustling city of Kathmandu. This serene oasis, nestled within the Kaiser Mahal complex, has undergone extensive renovation and restoration to recapture its past splendor. Encompassing a spacious 24-acre area, the garden offers a delightful array of attractions, including neo-classical pavilions, ornate fountains, elegant garden furniture, a charming Chinese Moon Gate, and European-inspired features like pergolas, balustrades, urns, and birdhouses.
- Pharping Buddhist Monastery
Situated on the valley rim, approximately 18 km south of Kathmandu, Pharping is a picturesque hilltop village known for its Buddhist monastery. The highlight of Pharping is an exquisite 17th-century temple that showcases a magnificent gilded image of Goddess Bajra Jogini. Additionally, visitors can explore fascinating attractions such as a cave and a remarkable hand imprint of the revered Buddhist saint Padmasambhava on the rock face above the cave’s entrance.
- Boudhanath Stupa
Boudhanath Stupa, located in Kathmandu, is one of Nepal’s most sacred and iconic Buddhist sites. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a significant pilgrimage destination for Buddhists worldwide. The Boudhanath Stupa is a massive and impressive structure that stands as a focal point of spiritual devotion.
- Thamel town
Thamel, renowned as a tourist hub, offers a wide array of amenities tailored to cater to visitors. This vibrant neighborhood boasts numerous hotels, a variety of restaurants, bookshops, charming souvenir stores, convenient cyber cafes, and travel agencies. It provides everything a tourist might require, including the opportunity to make new friends and find travel companions. Moreover, Thamel is an excellent destination for shopping, particularly for trekking and mountaineering gear, travel accessories, and delightful souvenirs.
- Narayanhiti Palace
Narayanhiti Palace, located in Kathmandu, is a former royal palace of Nepal. It served as the residence and principal workplace of the country’s monarchs until the monarchy was abolished in 2008. The palace complex covers a significant area and is surrounded by beautiful gardens.
Visiting Narayanhiti Palace Museum provides a glimpse into Nepal’s royal history and offers insights into the lifestyle and culture of the Nepalese monarchy. It is a popular attraction for both domestic and international tourists interested in Nepal’s rich heritage.
- Kopan Monastery
Kopan Monastery is a Tibetan Buddhist monastery located on the outskirts of Kathmandu, Nepal. It sits atop a hill, providing panoramic views of the surrounding valley and mountains. The monastery is renowned for its spiritual teachings, meditation practices, and serene environment.
- Chandragiri hill
Chandragiri Hill has become a popular tourist destination due to its natural beauty and accessibility. Visitors can reach the hilltop via a cable car ride, which provides a thrilling and scenic journey. The cable car ride itself offers stunning views of the valley, lush forests, and the sprawling city of Kathmandu.
Best location to stay
Before booking a Kathmandu day tour package, travelers need to pay attention to finding the best location to stay. It largely depends on your preferences and the purpose of your visit. Here are a few popular areas that offer different experiences:
- Thamel: Thamel is the main tourist hub of Kathmandu and offers a wide range of accommodations, from budget guesthouses to upscale hotels. It is known for its vibrant atmosphere, bustling markets, restaurants, and nightlife. It’s a convenient base for exploring the city and has easy access to shops and tour agencies.
- Boudhanath: If you want to stay near the iconic Boudhanath Stupa, consider accommodations in the Boudhanath area. This location offers a peaceful and spiritual ambiance, with many hotels providing rooftop views of the stupa. It’s a great choice for those interested in Tibetan Buddhist culture.
- Patan: Located just south of Kathmandu, Patan has its own Durbar Square and a rich cultural heritage. It’s an excellent option if you prefer a quieter atmosphere compared to central Kathmandu. Patan offers traditional Newari architecture, art galleries, and historic sites. Staying here provides a glimpse into the city’s medieval charm.
- Lazimpat: For a more upscale and quieter stay, Lazimpat is a good choice. It is a residential area with several boutique hotels and is popular among business travelers and those seeking a calmer environment. Lazimpat also offers proximity to diplomatic missions, restaurants, and shops.
- Durbar Marg: If you prefer a more upscale and luxurious experience, Durbar Marg is a high-end area with luxury hotels, upscale shopping, and fine dining options. It is centrally located, making it convenient for exploring the city’s attractions.
Consider your priorities, such as proximity to attractions, budget, and preferred atmosphere, when choosing the best location to stay in Kathmandu. Remember to read reviews, compare prices, and book accommodations in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
Recommended hotels in Kathmandu
Budget hotels: Birds Nest Hostel, Famous House Kathmandu, Kathmandu Peace Home
Mid-range hotels: Nepal Pavilion Inn, Yamba Traditional Home, Karma Boutique Hotel
Luxury hotels: Kathmandu Marriott Hotel, Hyatt Place Kathmandu, Gokarna Forest Resort
Climate of Kathmandu
The Kathmandu Valley enjoys a temperate climate, with maximum temperatures staying below 34 degrees Celsius even in the hottest summer months and minimum temperatures not falling below 3 degrees Celsius during winter.
Visa to Nepal
Nepal is a tourist-friendly country. Travelers can get a visa to this country easily. Please check the visa rule before booking a Kathmandu day tour package.
You can check the visa requirements on the IVISA website for free. They offer global online visa services and information help. The iVisa experts are available 24/7 to assist and guide you through the Nepal Visa on Arrival application process.
Nearest countries to visit
Bangladesh and India are the two nearest countries to Nepal. Travelers can visit those countries easily from Kathmandu. Nepal is connected to India by road and air. On the other hand, you can go to Bangladesh by air within 90 minutes.
If you want to visit Bangladesh, check out the list of my best tour packages. It takes only 70 minutes by flight to arrive in Paro, Bhutan from Dhaka. On the other hand, the Paro-Kathmandu flight takes only 75 minutes.
Nepal is great for budget tourists. As a whole, the cost of the Kathmandu day tour package is low. You can save money in Nepal following my real-life tour experience.
Explore the vibrant city of Kathmandu with an exclusive day tour package. Immerse yourself in this enchanting city’s sights, sounds, and flavors. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience the highlights of Kathmandu in a single day.
Although Nepal is famous for Mount Everest, this country has many other things to see. Immerse yourself in the enchanting city of Kathmandu on expert-guided tours that promise an unforgettable adventure. Secure your booking now and embark on an extraordinary journey.